- 1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter
- 6 oz dark chocolate chopped (see Notes)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tsp rose water (see Variation)
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder + 1 tbsp for dusting
- cooking spray or oil for brushing
- rose petals, for garnishing (optional)
- 7“ heart-shaped spring form pan (see Notes)
- Start by melting the butter and chocolate in a small, heavy bottom saucepan over medium low heat, stirring frequently until blended and smooth. It will take about 4-5 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat, then stir in the salt, ground cardamom and rose water. Set aside to cool until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C) and make sure to adjust the baking rack in the middle slot.
- Using your hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the eggs and sugar together on medium-high speed, for about 5 minutes, until the mixture is frothy, pale yellow in color and almost doubled in volume.
- Slowly pour in half of the cooled chocolate mixture and using a spatula, gently fold in till the chocolate is almost incorporated into the egg mixture.
- Add in the cocoa powder and pour in the remaining chocolate mixture and continue to fold it gently until everything is well mixed.
- Spray or brush oil inside the cake pan. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick when inserted in the middle of the cake, comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the cake pan for about 10 minutes and then carefully invert it onto a wire cooling rack. Let it cool completely before transferring onto a serving platter.
- Dust it with cocoa powder and sprinkle some rose petals on top.
- Serve at room temperature.
- The cake can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days. (see Notes)
Keywords: Baking Recipes, Chocolate Desserts, Valentines Recipe