- ¼ lb (115 g) Thai green chilies, washed and cut into thirds
- ½ green mango, grated (see Notes)
- 1 tsp split yellow mustard seeds (see Notes)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp raw turbinado sugar
- ½ small lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup neutral oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp asafetida
- In a bowl, combine the cut green chilies and grated green mangoes along with split yellow mustard seeds, salt, sugar and lemon juice.
- In a small frying pan, warm oil over medium high heat and add turmeric, mustard seeds and asafetida. When the seeds start to sputter, take it off the heat and pour the hot tempered oil over the seasoned green chili and green mango mixture in the bowl.
- Toss gently and transfer in an airtight container. Store it at room temperature in a cool, dry place or refrigerate for 48 hours (2 days) before serving so that the pickle gets a chance to marinate in the spicy-sweet oil and develop its flavor.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature on the side of your favorite meal.
Keywords: Maharashtrian Recipes, Family Recipes