For the Masala Chicken Patties
- 1 lb (454 g) ground chicken thigh meat (see Variations)
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 6–8 sprigs of cilantro/coriander, leaves and tender parts of stem, minced
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- salt, to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- ½ small lemon/lime, juiced
For the Burgers
- 4 slices of cheese, like havarti, cheddar or any other per your preference, optional
- 4 burger buns
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1/2 English cucumber, sliced
- Butter lettuce leaves
- Ketchup or Maggi Hot & Sweet Tomato Chili Sauce
For the Cilantro-Mint Mayo (optional)
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Thai/bird-eye chili (optional)
- a handful of mint leaves, roughly chopped
- a handful of cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- ½ tsp granulated sugar
- Place all the ingredients (listed on the recipe card below) for the burger patties in a medium bowl. Mix till everything is combined together well, but please do not over mix.
- Let the mixture rest on the counter for about 20-30 minutes (see Notes).
- In the meantime, prepare the Cilantro-Mint Mayo, if using, by processing all the ingredients for it in a mini food processor or a blender. Adjust seasonings and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat the grill. Brush or spray the grill with cooking oil.
- Divide into patties and grill them.
- Flip the patties over after about 5-6 minutes, when the bottom half of the patty doesn’t look translucent anymore.
- Cook on the other side for another 5-6 minutes.
- Melt a slice of havarti, cheddar or any other type of cheese on top of the patty, if you like and simultaneously toast the buns.
- When the other side of the patties are cooked, they are ready to be taken off the heat. At this point, the internal temperature on a meat thermometer should read 165°F/ 74°C.
- Alternatively, you can also grill the patties on a grill pan over the stove (see Notes).
- Transfer the patties onto a platter and cover with aluminum foil. Let them rest for 2-3 minutes, so that the juices redistribute.
- While the patties rest, prepare the buns by smearing with the condiments (Cilantro-Mint Mayo, if using and Ketchup/Maggi Hot & Sweet Sauce) and lay the bottom bun with the lettuce.
- Transfer the patty on to the prepared bun, top with tomato, cucumber and onion slices and the top bun.