An Indian spin on the classic Mexican Tres Leches Cake made by infusing the tres leches milk mixture with the Doodh/Milk Masala.
For the Cake
- 1 & 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 5 large eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided into 3/4 and 1/4 cups
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
- cooking spray or butter for greasing
- 9×13 baking tray or glass dish
- Electric stand or hand mixer with mixing bowls
- Silicone or rubber spatula
For the Masala Doodh Tres Leches Mixture
- 1 cup of whole milk, warmed up
- 1&1/2 tsbp doodh masala (see FAQs & Notes)
- 1 16 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 12 oz can of evaporated milk
For the Top Layer
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp rose extract
- crushed pistachios
- sliced almonds
- rose buds or petals
Baking the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175 °C) and grease the baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, ground cardamom, baking powder and salt.
- Beat the egg yolks and 3/4 cup of sugar together with an electric hand mixer or in a bowl of a stand mixer for about 3 mins till the mixture is pale yellow. Add the vanilla extract and milk and beat again to combine. Pour it over the flour mixture and mix well with a spatula till you get a smooth cake batter.
- Beat the egg whites separately on high speed using a hand or stand mixer until they have soft peaks. Continue running the mixer while gradually adding in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until egg whites are shiny and stiff.
- Fold the eggs whites very gently into the cake batter, making sure the eggs whites are combined but don’t deflate too much, so that the cake is light and spongy.
- Transfer the mixed batter gently into the baking dish and bake in the oven for 30-40 mins till it turns golden brown and the toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the cake.
- Take the cake out of the oven and allow it to cool for 15-30 minutes.
Soaking the Cake with Masala Doodh Tres Leches Mixture
- While the cake cools, prepare the three milk mixture by mixing in the doodh masala in the warmed whole milk.
- Once the cake is cooled, using a knife or a spatula, gently slide to unstick the sides of the cake from the pan. Then, poke holes all over the cake using a fork.
- Whisk condensed milk, evaporated milk and the spiced milk to combine well.
- Slowly pour the Masala Doodh Tres Leches Mixture over the cake.
- Cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours to let the cake cool and absorb the milk mixture completely.
Decorating the Cake with Top Layer
- When the cake is ready for the topping,, whip the heavy cream with sugar and rose extract in a bowl with a stand mixer or a hand mixer till it has soft peaks.
- Spread the whipped cream over the cake with a spatula in a thick even layer and top with crushed pistachios, sliced almonds and rose petals.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until ready to serve (see FAQs & Notes for storage/make-ahead information).
Keywords: Baking Recipes